Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Alchemist

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Books
Genre: Literature & Fiction
Author:Paulo Coelho
Let me start off by saying that I used to HATE this book because everyone was raving about it. "Everyone," from critics, to my PHILORL seatmate, to my Friendster friends. Being the then-non conformist that I was, I took an instant dislike to it. There was no way I would read it, not ever. I was vehemently against it even if I hadn't read it yet.

Then I did, and I realized how wrong I was.

If you've read a few of his books (previously I've read "Veronika Decides to Die", parts of "Eleven Minutes", and a smaller part of "By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept"), you'd easily grow accustomed to his light and simple writing style. He has a very light touch of humor that is so subtle you really wouldn't sense it immediately. Compared to the previous three I've read, however, The Alchemist deserves a second, third, and umpteenth read (and I must say that "Veronika Decides to Die" is a close second to that).

Oh, and get this--this book made me cry. Thrice. It was the first time that a book ever had that kind of effect on me.

So much for the vehemence.

No comments: